This is my absolute favorite recipe. My go-to when we’re asked to a cookout and everybody seems to love it. It’s really easy to make and I highly suggest making it the night before and refrigerating overnight, as the sauce will be runny, but will soak into the pasta overnight to mesh the flavors even more!
1 1/2 cups small shell macaroni or ditalini pasta
2 1/2 cups water
3 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 tsp mustard powder (or 2 Tbsp prepared mustard)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (As much as we love Duke’s mayonnaise, I do not recommend it for this recipe. The amazing flavor of Duke’s does not mesh well with the other ingredients in this macaroni salad)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Place pasta, eggs, salt, and water into your instant pot. Secure lid and switch vent to “seal.” Set on high pressure for 5 minutes. It will take 5-10 minutes for your IP to come to pressure. When cooking is complete, manual release. Drain macaroni and eggs. (We recommend THESE to protect your hands while doing this.)
- When eggs are cooled, peel and dice.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard powder, white vinegar, and sugar until smooth.
- Add celery, onions, pasta, and eggs. Mix to coat.
- Cover and let refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Stir well before serving.