We decided to have a small cookout this past weekend and I figured I would prepare something other than plain ol’ canned baked beans. While those are delicious, I knew I needed something that people would not forget. These had everyone coming back for seconds (and thirds!).
Two (24.8 oz) cans Campbell’s Pork & Beans
1/2 white onion, diced
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
5 slices bacon, cut in half
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup PLUS 2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
1 tsp dry mustard (or 1 Tbsp dijon mustard)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until partially cooked. Place bacon on paper towels to cool, leaving bacon grease in skillet.
- Add green pepper and onion to the skillet and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 13×9 baking dish and top with bacon.
- Bake for 2 hours or until beans are bubbly and the consistency of pancake syrup.