Soups and stews are great this time of year & I love finding new recipes to introduce to my family. Here is my take on a delectable beef stew made right in my Instant Pot. It pairs perfectly with my Homemade Italian Bread.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces. (You can also use sirloin steak if you find it on sale)
2 tsp paprika, divided
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine (I prefer to use this)
2 cups beef broth (We love it in the powdered form)
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 lb potatoes, cut into cubes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cooking Oil (either EVOO or vegetable oil)
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/3 cup flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add beef, tossing to coat completely. Shake off excess. Set flour mixture aside.
- Hit the Saute function on your Instant Pot. When the display reads “hot” add 2 tsp oil and heat until shimmering. Add beef and cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring well. You may have to do this in batches. Transfer beef to a plate. Set aside.
- As 1 Tbsp oil to the pot & heat until shimmering. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute until dark red. Add the remaining flour and whisk until they are combined.
- Add the thyme, wine, and broth. Whisk for approximately 4 minutes, or until smooth and thickened. Press cancel.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Stir well.
- Close & lock the lid. Set the steam release handle to “venting.”
- Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, remove lid and check to make sure the contents are cooked until tender. If more time is needed, reset the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Ladle stew into serving bowls. Garnish with remaining paprika, and salt & pepper.
Coffee. Mom. Repeat. may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. You can view our whole disclosure policy HERE.