My family loves all things baked goods, especially bread. When I stumbled across a recipe for blueberry bagels, I knew I had to give it a try and put my own little spin on it. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries, tossed in 1/4 cup flour
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Mix together the salt and flour – making a well in the center
- Add the yeast, cinnamon, and the remaining water to the flour
- Gently fold blueberries into dough
- Knead until you have a soft, elastic dough — either by hand or using the dough hook of a stand mixer. (Don’t worry — the dough is supposed to look that purple)
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled — approx. 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls
- Press into the center of each ball, forming a hole, and stretch to form the bagel shape. To save time and frustration, you could also use this bagel shaper.
- Let rest for 30 minutes while oven pre-heats to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Boil bagels, 1 or 2 at a time, for 3-4 minutes (they will float to the top when ready)
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes
By boiling the bagels before baking, you create a crispy crust with a soft, chewy center.
Of course, if blueberries aren’t your thing, just leave them out!